The Missouri University of Science and Technology Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) oversees the university’s animal facilities, programs, and humane treatment for all animal used for research and education. The campus IACUC serves as a resource for investigators, staff, and students by providing guidance to plan and conduct all animal procedures with strict attention to ethical and humane principles.
Members of the IACUC committee shall:
- Inspect, at least once every six months, the university’s animal facility using the Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals 8th Edition (Guide) as the standard for evaluation.
- Review concerns involving the care and use of animals at the animal facility.
- Make recommendation to the campus Institutional Official regarding the university’s animal programs, facilities, or training.
- Review and approve, require modification (prior to approval), or withhold approval of proposed protocols regarding the use of laboratory animals.
- Ensure that all personnel involved with animal care, treatment, or use are provided with proper training on the humane practice and use of laboratory animals.
Reporting animal concerns
Concerns regarding the humane care and use of laboratory animals are taken seriously. Any use of the facility who witnesses unethical, improper, or unauthorized animal care is encouraged to report any concern. A report can be made anonymously. All reports will be kept confidential.
When a concern is reported the chair of the IACUC committee will conduct an immediate and thorough review of the report. Anyone who is the subject of a report will notified of the alleged concerns. Depending on the findings, the IACUC committee will discuss the outcome and will take the appropriate action as necessary up to and including disciplinary action by the appropriate Missouri S&T authority.
Guidelines, policies and regulations pertaining to animal care and use
- NIH Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare: https://olaw.nih.gov/home.htm
- The PHS Policy for the Humane Care and Use of Laboratory Animals: https://olaw.nih.gov/policies-laws/phs-policy.htm
- The National Research Council (NRC) Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals: https://grants.nih.gov/grants/olaw/guide-for-the-care-and-use-of-laboratory-animals.pdf
- The AVMA Guidelines on Euthanasia: https://www.avma.org/KB/Policies/Pages/Euthanasia-Guidelines.aspx
- The ARENA/OLAW IACUC Guidebook: https://olaw.nih.gov/guidance/ARENA-OLAW-IACUC-guidebook.htm